Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Birthday Recap



I am usually not a sentimental person, but lately I have been having sentimental moments. And that's okay, after all I am a girl. I'm supposed to have those every so often, right?
Growing up, I never really had any birthdays parties, but once I turned 18 and could do it on my own, I had huge birthdays parties every year around my birthday. Most of my friends would come and we would just hang out. Last year we even had a pinata! This year, since I moved, I was kind of nostalgic. It would have been the first birthday without my close friends and family. I didn't think it would be that great.
I haven't been in Santa Fe, NM for very long, I really don't know that many people here, but yet somehow this birthday managed to be the best birthday I have ever had.  
Why was it the best? I didn't have a cake, or a party, or anything like that. But it was the best birthday because people that don't even know me that well, or that have recently met me, remembered my birthday and went out of their way to make it special and memorable.
For example, one of my friends, Matt, left me a present at my door. It was there when I woke up. It was full of things I specifically like.  Five bags of chips, Mexican Candy, the Aristocats (I mentioned I haven't seen it, how did he remember?), stuff for the hair, a Ross gift card and coffee. Every item (even the bags of chips) was carefully, and beautifully wrapped, and I could see he took the time putting together this wonderful present for me. That was a gesture that moved me to tears, and made me so happy. Not the fact that I got presents, but the fact that he took the time to put together something so thoughtful and specific. So I just cried. And someone pointed out that it was funny that a bag of chips could make me THAT happy.  I guess if you look at it that way, it is kind of funny.

Also other people also sent me stuff like candy, wine, flowers, chocolates, and a bag by Designer Simon Chang (he designs for Celine Dion and Shania Twain), and yes, more chips.


After all that excitement, it was time for dinner. I don't know if you know, but I love food. I also happen to be in one of the best places to eat in the US: Santa Fe, NM. Food here is A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. From Mexican, to Italian, to African, you can find something for everyone, and everything is delicious. I opted for Italian.

I picked a restaurant that I had previously been to, and I thought it was great. The restaurant's name is Pranzo Italian Grill and everything is delicious. For appetizer we had the Antipasto Misto, which is imported Italian meats and cheeses with pesto, Sicilian olive medley, and pepperoncini. It was delicious. I had pinot noir wine to accompany it.


For my entree, I had something called Gnocchi Astice, which is lobster and gnocchi with bacon, chile flakes, garlic and peas, Saffron cream. One of the best things I have ever eaten in my life.



Wow the food there was so great. They also serve break with three different delicious oils, one of them is red chilli oil. 

After dinner, I went home and watched the Aristocats, while sipping on a glass of wine.
Seriously, it was the best birthday ever, and I want to thank all of the people that made it so with phone calls, Facebook posts, text messages, etc.
I wasn't expecting so much kindness from people who have known me for so little time! I guess it really pays off to be nice! xoxoxox

Yeny.