Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Epilator Review!



Before today, I've never tried an epilator. It just never caught my attention.
Until now.
I am going to review Braun Silk Epil 7 epilator.

It looks like this:

Braun Silk-Epil 7681 Wet & Dry Epilator

 Pretty cool huh? Wait till you see what's inside:


  •  The actual epilator.
  • 5 different heads/caps for different areas of the body
  • A small cleaning brush
  • A charger
  • Instructions manual and warranty
  • A small bag for storage
  • Pre-epilation wipes by Olay
 You can use it dry, or wet after it has been charged. In order for me to review this I let the hair on my legs grow enough to be plucked by this epilator. Don't laugh! haha

Ok, so what does this do? How does this work?

It's basically 40 "tweezers" in a rotating head that pluck the hairs as short as a grain of sand.

At first, it looked quite... scary. It sounds scary, and looks even scarier when turned on.

Here is a close-up picture of the epilator's head:



Since it can be used when the hair is dry or wet, I am going to try this on each leg, one dry and one wet.

 Okay, so what's the process?

First I used the pre-epilation wipes by Olay, to prepare my skin for gentle epilation. I used one on each leg and just rubbed each leg for 30 seconds.

To give you an idea of how long my hair was before the epilation, here is a close-up of a leg (like I said, don't laugh):


I started with dry first (left leg).
So I turned it on and I started the process, moving against the direction of the hair and being careful of not putting any pressure on the skin. Also stretching the skin while epilating.
Because hair grows in different directions, I guided the epilator in different directions. The Braun epilator has a very bright light that helps a lot with seeing the areas that need to be worked on!



Then, I tried the wet (right leg), just running some warm water over it, and repeated the process above.
To tell  you the truth, in my experience, I liked using it dry instead of wet. When the leg was wet, the hairs stuck to the skin and I actually spent more time epilating. And hairs were more elastic, and it hurt a little.

Does it hurt? 

Yes and no. It hurts a little at the beginning, I mean, you are plucking hairs. It's going to hurt a little. But surprisingly, it hurts less than waxing. A lot less. And if you like using hot wax, then not only does it hurt less, it burns less. But after a few minutes, it stops hurting. I don't know if it's that your skin gets used to the plucking sensation, or the fact that I used the Olay wipes, or the fact that it has a high frequency massage system (which I totally felt), or a combination of the above. But it really doesn't hurt. It feels like a tickling sensation.

And the million dollar question:
Does it work?

Yes! It totally works, just as good as shaving and better than waxing. Since it's plucking hairs, I am going to assume it lasts just as long as waxing.
See? No hairs!!!!


The verdict??

I am in love with this product! Totally in love. I don't think I'll ever want to buy razors again.






Disclaimer: I won this Braun epilator from a fellow blogger, Gimmethatglow (go check her out, she's great!). I was not asked to write a review in order to receive the prize. This is my own honest opinion about the product.