Saturday, September 22, 2012

What Is With Music These Days?!?!



I don't usually listen to the radio, or what is current with music these days.  I usually just listen to the magical world that my iPod provides. That safe heaven where all music is beautiful and perfect.
I lost my iPod charger a few days ago, and while I could have transferred all my music into my Android phone or "The Cloud" it would have taken forever to do that, and let's face it, I didn't do it because I was too lazy. Being Saturday, I have a lot of cleaning to do, but of course my iPod is out of battery (and who can do cleaning without some good music?).
Okay, so I don't own a stereo and my computer's speakers not very loud. So what do I turn to? The TV's music channels.

I'm grew up with 90s music and while I do enjoy the likes of Lady Gaga (some songs), Taylor Swift, and many other current pop and R&B singers, I was appalled by what I heard on the "Top Hits" music channel.

Lyrics like:  

Remember all the things that you and I did first?
And now you're doing them with her?
I want you back... blah blah blah


In the most absurd, annoying voice I have ever heard. It sounded like someone was choking, or had a really bad cold. I'm sorry but what is this?!!

I also honestly didn't know that Taylor Swift had come out with a new single "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together". The lyrics are quite catching, but her voice without the music... eh.

Oh Rihanna's song "You Da One" shoot me, please.

Or for example Nicki Minaj's "Pound the Alarm"

"Some call me Nicki, and some call me Roman Skeeza, pleeza, I'm in Ibiza Giuseppe Zanotti, my own sneaker "
 I know it's rapping but I have no idea what she's saying, maybe I should've paid more attention to the song.

LFMAO's "Sexy and I Know It"
What kind of name is that? Can I make my own music group and call it IEOOSJKDNVUHDLLE?


That being said, not all music nowadays is terrible autotuned, annoying sounds of people puking, gargling or having a bad case of mocos. There is nothing wrong with wanting to understand what singers are singing.

There are many good singers out there that I'm a fan of and have really good music: Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Katie Melua, Shakira, Colbie Caillat, Lifehouse, Akon, Usher, Demi Lovato Omarion. etc,.

I heard a lot of good new music too. I love Matchbox Twenty and their new single "She's So Mean" and anything by Maroon 5 is a win with me and I'm completely guilty of singing along to "Tik Tok" and "Call Me, Maybe". And I am guilty of overplaying Adele and "Somebody That I Used to Know".  But C'mon a lot of this is bad, bad, bad music with a bad message to the people who listen to it (which is mostly youth). I guess that's what people like these days. I am forever traumatized.

Though older music was not free of having bad artists and lyrics (Macarena? anyone) and this is true for any music decade/period, I miss days where we had music of The Scorpions, The Beatles, Tracy Chapman, the quirky sense of style of Cyndi Lauper, and the old songs of Shakira and Enrique Iglesias.

I guess for now I will have to play the "80s Hits" station on my TV, till I buy a new charger for my iPod.