Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Yay! The Grand Canyon



When I was a little kid, I'd learn about the Seven Natural Wonders of the world, and I'd dream about how one day I'd see my favorite: The Grand Canyon.
I'm so fascinated by its vastness, the way nature took its course and how it took millions of years through erosion to form.
When I was in college, I took a geology class, and I loved the brief lectures we had on the way the Grand Canyon was formed, the types of rocks it was made of, and the flora and fauna that thrived in it and along the Colorado River.
After that class, I added visiting the Grand Canyon to my bucket list!
I lived in New Mexico for so many years, and Arizona is right next to it, and I never even saw it. Till a few weeks ago, I could finally cross "visiting the Grand Canyon" off my bucket list. Even in the middle of January, and covered in snow, it was just breathtaking.

So beautiful

We had to go around that rock to get back to the car...



So we decided to take a hike. On the part of the Grand Canyon that was covered in snow. No big deal. I'm a thrill seeker.
Going down was hard... the slopes on the trails were so narrow and so steep that I could literally just slide down by sitting on my bottom and letting gravity do the work. We got down about 2000 ft at around 2:45pm. It got dark around 5:00pm so we had to head back.
Oh God, oh God! We went back the zigzag trails that were too steep going down, imagine how hard it was going back up! After two trails our lungs were burning and our hearts felt like they were going to pop out of our chests. Suddenly, I didn't feel like a thrill seeker anymore, that was only about twenty feet that we had gone back to the top and we were already dying. We still had to go about 1980ft, not counting the ups and downs on the trails.




Some parts were just too narrow or too steep, and me, being the brave person that I am, decided that walking was too dangerous in some parts, so I crawled. Like a baby. I was going at those icy trails with my knees like there was no tomorrow. Unlucky for me, the snow made sure my knees were numb, so I didn't feel like I was really hitting the rock hard at all. After what seem like an eternity, and the best (worst?) cardio of my life, we finally reached to top. Yay! I felt like I had just conquered the Everest (which, by the way, it's also on my bucket list).

Totally worth it

Needless to say, I ended up with the worst bruises of my life, and I walked like a penguin (and not in a cute way) for the next three days. But I had tons of fun and it's an experience I will never forget!!!