Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Where to Eat in Santa Fe: Jinja Bar and Bistro


Santa Fe, New Mexico is one of my favorite places in the world, not only because of its history (oldest Capital in the US), and beautiful Spanish architecture but also because of its food. Santa Fe, New Mexico has a fantastic geographic location for its food: close enough to the border with Mexico for Mexican food,  and surrounded by Pueblos for delicious Native American food, and many other options like Italian, American, Indian, and Asian.

Although I thoroughly enjoy all kinds of food, there is one restaurant in particular that I enjoy the most when I eat out in Santa Fe. The name is of this restaurant is Jinja Bar and Bistro.  Jinja's specialty is Pacific Rim cooking and has many vegetarian and gluten-free options. I have had the pleasure of eating there a few times and every time I visit I love it more and more.

The Food:

My absolute favorite is a soup called the Malay Coconut Soup. It is a delicious soup made with coconut milk, and udon noodles. The soup has shrimp, bean sprouts and it's a little spicy. It is also served with a side of freshly made fried chips. I always have it for an appetizer.




For my entree I usually have the delicious Seared Sashimi Tuna on a bed of spinach. It comes with Jazmin rice, hot sauce, sweet cucumber and ginger.






Another favorite of mine is also the Jungle Green Curry which has shrimp (I love shrimp!), bell peepers and other vegetables in a creamy coconut, curry sauce. I love it.  This dish is really delicious and the curry is not overwhelming.




The Service:

The restaurant is casual and comfy, kid-friendly, with low lighting and contemporary music but the noise level can be high. They have a great variety of foods, and alcoholic mixed drinks, and a full bar. You can expect an entree to be anywhere from $10-20, and a bill of at least $50 including appetizer, entrees, and non-alcoholic beverages but not including dessert or tip. The waiting times can be long, so it is highly recommended that a reservation be made before.
I haven't had the best of experiences with the service as the waiter/waitress usually takes too long to get our orders, refill our drink, among other things. One thing about this place is that the food usually takes forever to arrive at your table so make sure you get an appetizer before ordering the main course.

I would give Jinja 4/5 overall. Great food for the money, great atmosphere, okay/poor service. This is one of my favorite restaurants!


Jinja Bar & Bisto on Urbanspoon



Disclaimer: This is not a paid review, no compensation was given. All Opinions are honest and my own!